14 Déc 2021
Lieu: Online | Webex
This session, organized within the framework of the Geneva Environment Network, is part of a series of webinars, co-convened by Albania, Mali, North-Macedonia, Switzerland and Uruguay with the support of UNEP, to inform stakeholders of the key findings from the UNEP Assessment Report, in preparation for discussions expected to take place at the second segment of the fifth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-5.2).
About this Session
The fourth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-4), in its resolution 4/8 adopted in 2019, recognized that science is needed to set priorities, for policymaking and to monitor progress: science-based decision-making should be promoted at all levels, and that the science-policy interface (SPI) needs to be strengthened. UNEA-4 further requested the Executive Director of UNEP to prepare an assessment of options for strengthening the science-policy interface at the international level. The assessment report reviews a variety of existing science-policy interface (SPI) platforms and examines potential impacts of and outputs from a strengthened Science-Policy Interface for chemicals and waste.
A series of webinars is co-convened by Albania, Mali, North-Macedonia, Switzerland and Uruguay with the support of UNEP to inform stakeholders of the key findings from the UNEP Assessment Report, in preparation for discussions expected to take place at the second segment of UNEA-5.2, to be held from 28 February to 2 March 2022 in Nairobi, Kenya. The Geneva webinar is organized within the framework of the Geneva Environment Network.
- 1 December 2021, 10:00-11:30 CET | Africa Region | English/French interpretation
- 2 December 2021, 9:00-10:30 CET | Asia Region | English
- 2 December 2021, 16:00-17:30 CET | Latin America and Caribbean Region | English/Spanish interpretation
- 6 December 2021, 14:00-15:30 CET | Central and Eastern European | English/Russian interpretation
- 14 December 2021, 14:00-15:30 CET | Western European and Other States Group, jointly organized with the Geneva Environment Network (GEN) | English
- 15 December 2021, 12:00-13:30 CET | Permanent Missions in Nairobi | English
By order of intervention
The event will take place online. Kindly register directly on the Webex platform.
Introduction of the UNEP Assessment Report& Key features
Lessons Learned from Relevant Science Policy Panels (SPPs)
The Right to Science
Introduction of the proposal for a draft UNEA-5.2 Resolution to establish a Science–Policy Panel to support action on chemicals, waste and pollution – by one of the co-proponent
Question and Answer Session
In addition to the live WebEx and Facebook transmissions, the video will be available on this webpage.
- An Assessment of Options for Strengthening the Science-Policy Interface at the International Level for the Sound Management of Chemicals and Waste
- Developing a Global Science-Policy Body on Chemicals and Waste
- Chemicals and Waste | From Science to Policy, Global Issues of Concern, Challenges and Opportunities | GENeva UNEA Briefing