The Impact of Chemicals, Waste, and Pollution on Human Health
25 May 2023
Lieu: Palais des Nations, Room H-307-1 & Online | Webex
On the sidelines of the 76th Session of the World Health Assembly (WHA76), this event discussed the links between the impacts of chemicals, waste and pollution, the protection of human health, and the importance of a draft resolution tabled by Peru, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Monaco, Switzerland, Uruguay, and the European Union and its Member States.
About this Session
At the Seventy-sixth World Health Assembly (WHA76) taking place in Geneva from 21 to 30 May 2023, a draft resolution on the impact of chemicals, waste, and pollution on human health is tabled by Peru, Canada, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Monaco, Switzerland, Uruguay, and the European Union and its Member States. The draft resolution, available on the WHA76 portal, includes notes and references to various ongoing negotiations as well as UN Environment Assembly and Human Rights Council resolutions. Among these:
- Plastic pollution and the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee in charge of developing a legally binding instrument on plastic pollution | Scaling-up work on plastics and health. Indeed its impacts are not given adequate attention as stated by WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus during the Geneva Day held at the World Economic Forum 2023.
- The Strategic Approach and sound management of chemicals and waste beyond 2020 (SAICM) and the inter-sessional work of the International Conference on Chemicals Management.
- State of the Science of Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals | Update of the UNEP report to be prepared prior to the sixth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly, in line with the resolution UNEA 5/7.
- Ad Hoc Open-Ended Working Group to establish a Science-Policy Panel to contribute further to the sound management of chemicals and waste and to prevent pollution | Contribute to the work of OEWG, and explore the full range of options for the future involvement of WHO for the consideration at the next WHA.
- Inter-Organization Programme for the Sound Management of Chemicals (IOMC) | Further strengthening international cooperation and multi-sectoral engagement in the sound management of chemicals and waste.
On the sidelines of WHA76, this event discussed the links between the impacts of chemicals, waste and pollution, and the protection of human health.
By order of intervention.
H.E. Amb. Francisca E. MÉNDEZ ESCOBAR
Permanent Representative of Mexico to the United Nations Office in Geneva
H.E. Amb. Carole LANTERI
Permanent Representative of the Principality of Monaco to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva
H.E. Amb. Romy TINCOPA
Deputy Permanent Representative of Peru to the international organizations in Geneva
Head, Chemicals and Health Branch, UNEP
Executive Director, Centre for Environmental Justice and Development | Co-chair, IPEN Toxic Plastic Working Group
Director, Department of Environment, Climate Change and Health, World Health Organization
Head of Section, Economic, Environment, Development & Digital Affairs, EU Delegation to UN Office & other international organizations in Geneva | Moderator
The event is livestreamed from Palais des Nations and via Webex.
- Seventy-sixth World Health Assembly (WHA76)
- Environment @ WHA76
- Plastics and Human Health
- Developing a Global Science-Policy Panel on Chemicals, Waste and Pollution Prevention
- Geneva addressing Hazardous Substances
- The Minderoo-Monaco Commission on Plastics and Human Health | Philip J. Landrigan et. al | 21 March 2023