High-level Session: Human Rights Institutions and the Implementation of the Paris Agreement | 2021 Human Rights & Climate Change Geneva Dialogues
24 Mar 2021
Venue: Online | Zoom
Organization: Center for International Environmental Law
The Center for International Environmental Law (CIEL), the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), Earthjustice and Natural Justice, with the support of the Government of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung, organized the high-level session of the Human Rights and Climate Change Geneva Dialogues "Human Rights Institutions and the Implementation of the Paris Agreement".
2021 Human Rights & Climate Change Geneva Dialogues
The 2021 Human Rights & Climate Change Geneva Dialogues provide an opportunity to identify how international, regional and national human rights bodies can contribute to the challenging climate agenda.
This high-level session facilitated an exchange of concrete actions and commitments that could be achieved in 2021 to promote human rights-based climate responses and to promote cooperation between relevant actors and institutions.
The high-level panel gathered ministers and other high-level speakers to discuss expectations for human rights-based climate action in 2021.
The expert-level panel build upon the takeaways from the Geneva Dialogues’ thematic workshops on environmental justice; indigenous peoples and land rights; and opportunities for redress. It provided the opportunity to discuss how specific human rights institutions and processes – such as the Human Rights Council, Special Procedures, Human Rights Treaty Bodies, and the Universal Periodic Review – can effectively contribute to addressing those issues and, more in general, how to foster synergies between the implementation processes for the Paris Agreement and the mandates of human rights bodies.
Simultaneous interpretation in French and Spanish was provided.
- H.E. Carole Dieschbourg, Minister for the Environment, Climate and Sustainable Development, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (by video-statement)
- Michelle Bachelet Jeria, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, – OHCHR (by video-statement)
- Archie Young, Lead Climate Negotiator at Cabinet Office, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- H.E. Bruce Billimon, Acting Minister in Assistance to the President and Minister of Environment, Republic of the Marshall Islands
- Pooven Moodley, Executive Director, Natural Justice
- David Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment
- Vasilka Sancin, Member, Human Rights Committee
- Shanchita Haque, Deputy Permanent Representative, the Peoples’ Republic of Bangladesh’s Permanent Mission in Geneva
- Didier Georges, Counselor, Haiti’s Permanent Mission in Geneva
- Astrid Puentes, Co-Executive Director, Asociación Interamericana para la Defensa del Ambiente (AIDA)
- Lucy Mulenkei, Executive Director, Indigenous Information Network
- Ruth Kattumuri, Senior Director of Economic, Youth and Sustainable Development, the Commonwealth Secretariat
- Marc Bichler, Climate Change and Human Rights Ambassador, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Concept notes in:
Video of the Event
The video of the event is available on CIEL Youtube Channel.