04 May 2023
Venue: CICG | Room 11-12 & Online | Webex
Organization: International Pollutants Elimination Network
This side event to the 2023 meetings of the Conferences of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions was organized by the International Pollutants Elimination Network (IPEN) with the support of the Geneva Environment Network.
About this Event
Toxic chemicals impact communities throughout the plastics lifecycle, including during recycling and waste management. Plastics also carry toxic chemicals with it over long distances, acting as a source of exposure for communities living in remote areas, such as indigenous communities in the Arctic.
The Stockholm Convention plays an important role in banning POPs in plastics, as exemplified by the recommendations of the POPRC to list the plastics additives Dechlorane Plus and UV-328 for global elimination. Governments at the first session of the Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee to develop to Develop an International Legally Binding Instrument on Plastic Pollution (INC1) clearly identified toxic chemicals as a key issue for the Treaty to address. This will be key for the plastics associated chemicals not covered by the Stockholm Convention, as well as an opportunity to act on groups of chemicals.
Toxic Waste and Industrial Pollution Program Manager, EARTH Thailand
Science and Technical Advisor, IPEN
Lecturer, Australian National Centre for Ocean Resources and Security (ANCORS), University of Wollongong
Sverre Thomas JAHRE
Senior Advisor, Department for Marine Management and Pollution Control, Ministry of Climate and Environment, Norway
Mercury and POPs Policy Advisor, IPEN | Moderator
The event was livestreamed from CICG and via Webex.
- Environmental, Food and Human Body Burden of Dechlorane Plus in a Waste Recycling Area in Thailand: No Room for Exemptions | Thailand (EARTH), Arnika, and IPEN | April 2023
- Chemicals in plastics – a technical report (UNEP/CHW.16/INF/60 UNEP/FAO/RC/COP.11/INF/44 UNEP/POPS/COP.11/INF/61) | UNEP & BRS | May 2023
- Global governance of plastics and associated chemicals (UNEP/CHW.16/INF/58–UNEP/FAO/RC/COP.11/INF/41–UNEP/POPS/COP.11/INF/59) | BRS | April 2023
- BRS COPs | IPEN
- Towards the 2023 Meetings of the Conference of the Parties to the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
- IPEN Urges BRS COPs Delegates to Follow the Science, Ban Dangerous Chemicals Without Exemptions
- Quick views for the Conferences of the parties of the Stockholm, Basel and Rotterdam Conventions, 2023 | IPEN | April 2023