Événement Journée mondiale
Earth Overshoot Day 2021
Earth Overshoot Day
Each year, Earth Overshoot Day marks the date when we have used all the biological resources that the Earth can renew during the entire year. To determine the date of Earth Overshoot Day, the Global Footprint Network, an award-winning international research and non-profit organization, combines data and forms the most reasonable assumptions to assess humanity’s resource situation.
29 July 2021
In 2021, Earth Overshoot Day falls on 29 July, meaning that we are using the resources of 1.7 Earths. Already between 1 January 2021 and 29 July 29 2021, our demand for biological regeneration is equivalent to the planet’s entire annual regeneration. The main drivers were:
- Carbon footprint: An increase of 6.6% from 2020
- Global forest biocapacity: A reduction of 0.5% from 2020 due in large part to the spike in Amazon deforestation. In Brazil alone, 1.1 million hectares were lost in 2020 and estimates for 2021 indicate up to 43% year-over-year increase in deforestation.
In 2020, Earth Overshoot Day fell on 22 August, partly induced by the COVID-19 pandemic.
100 Days of Possibility
100 Days of Possibility was unveiled on Earth Overshoot Day by the Global Footprint Network and the Scottish EPA.
The initiative features proven and scalable solutions that contribute to bringing humanity’s Ecological Footprint in balance with the biological resources that the planet’s natural ecosystems can sustainably regenerate.
For 100 days, from 29 July to COP 26, the initiative is showcasing many ways we can use existing technology to displace business as usual practices we can no longer afford, to #MoveTheDate.
Country Overshoot Days
A Country Overshoot Day reflects the ecological footprint of a country by comparing the population’s demand and the nation’s biocapacity.
Switzerland’s Overshoot Day 2021 was on 11 May. From this date onwards, Switzerland is living on credit at the expense of future generations. If the world’s population had the same lifestyle as Swiss citizens, the resources of three planets would be necessary to ensure its existence.
Take a Step to Move the Date
Calculate your environmental footprint, get inspired by intiatives around the world and discover concrete actions to push back the date of Overshoot Day through our resource page below.
- Earth Overshoot Day marks the launch of 100 Days of Possibility leading to COP26 | Global Footprint Network | 29 July 2021
- Dealing with Global Carbon Debt | Science Daily | 8 July 2021
- By July 29 2021 We Will Have Used Our Annual Quota of the Earth’s Biological Resources | My Green Pod | 6 June 2021
- Earth Overshoot Day Creeps Back to July 29 | Global Footprint Network and Scottish Environment Protection Agency | 4 June 2021
- Switzerland Overshoot Day 2021 | Geneva Environment Network
- Wednesdays for the Planet: The Clothes We Wear | Geneva Environment Network | 17 March 2021