Inequalities threatening Human Development
On Tuesday 28 January, UNDP is organizing the presentation in Geneva of the 2019 Human Development Report (HDR), released last December. The report highlights that inequalities surrounding education, technology and climate change have sparked demonstrations across the globe. Check details of the event and register online to attend this event. #HDR2019
Health and Climate Change
WHO and IISD are organizing a Special Event on Health and Climate Change, on 30 January. A new IISD report highlighting the “Health co-benefits from NDC implementation in China” will be launched, and the “2020 Global Conference on Health and Climate Change” to take place in Glasgow at the margin of COP26, will be announced. Check details of the event and register online to attend this event.
Ciné Environment House: Our Planet
The docuseries “Our Planet” narrated by Sir David Attenborough, showcasing the world’s natural wonders, will be screened at the International Environment House on Thursdays, at lunch time. Joint us for the screening of the first episode, “One Planet”, this Thursday at 12:30. #OurPlanet
2 February is World Wetlands Day
World Wetlands Day is celebrated on 2 February, the day marking the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands in 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar on the shores of the Caspian Sea. “Wetlands and Biodiversity” is the theme for this year’s edition. Wetlands are habitats for a dense variety of plant and animal species. Latest estimates show that wetlands are disappearing three times faster than forests. See below the activities taking place around Geneva to celebrate the day. #WorldWetlandsDay
What should I read next?
- Killing Us Softly, Veronica Yates, Director of CRIN, in conversation with Baskut Tuncak UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and toxics, in Medium. com, 23 January 2020.
- Are these the 20 top multi-stakeholder processes in 2020 to advance a digital ecosystem for the planet? David Jensen in Medium.com, 21 January 2020.
- New 1t.org initiative of the World Economic Forum initiative to connect, empower and mobilize a global reforestation community of millions, in support ofthe UN Decade on Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030, led by UNEP and FAO.
- Historic UN Human Rights case opens door to climate change asylum claims. UN Human Rights, 21 January 2020.
What should I watch next?
- “We have a crisis on our hands…” The closing video from the World Economic Forum Annual Meeting 2020
Stay tuned for additional news
Please note that the list of events and vacancies provided in our weekly newsletter is non-exhaustive. Stay tuned and follow us also on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and other and other social networks, or visit our website regularly for additional updates.