The Geneva Nature-based Solutions dialogues aim to facilitate further engagement and discussion among the stakeholders in International Geneva and beyond, in the lead-up to a critical year for nature and society. The dialogues are convened by the Geneva Environment Network and the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
About the Dialogues
We are facing a triple planetary crisis – climate change, nature loss and pollution. In this context, Nature-based Solutions (NbS) are a powerful ally to address a societal and environmental challenges. As per IUCN definition, NbS are actions to protect, sustainably manage and restore natural or modified ecosystems that address societal challenges effectively and adaptively, simultaneously providing human well-being and biodiversity benefits.
NbS are a powerful tool to facilitate and catalyse the engagement of cross-sectoral stakeholders to join forces towards the implementation of an ambitious Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF) and move towards achieving the CBD 2050 Vision of ‘Living in harmony with nature’. NbS also offer a pathway for synergies among several multilateral environmental agreements, including for biological diversity (CBD), climate change (UNFCCC), disaster risk reduction (Sendai Framework), desertification (UNCCD) and the wider Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – and for mainstreaming nature conservation into sectoral decision-making processes.
In the lead-up to a critical year for nature and society, NbS offer an opportunity to address a wide range of urgent societal challenges. The year 2021 and the major upcoming negotiations should indeed mark a turning point towards a resilient world for future generations.
Join the Geneva Environment Network and the International Union for Conservation of Nature in a one-year journey, where experts from all over the world and different sectors will discuss throughout the year how NbS are relevant to various debates ongoing in Geneva.
- Nature-based Solutions and Health | 26 April
- Nature-based Solutions and the Post-2020 Biodiversity Framework | 17 May
- Nature-based Solutions and Ecosystems Restoration | 7 June
- Nature-based Solutions and Water | 5 July
- Nature-based Solutions for Socio-Economic Growth | 30 August
- Nature-based Solutions and Food | 13 September
- Nature-based Solutions and Oceans| 27 September
- Nature-based Solutions and Cities | 25 October
- Nature-based Solutions and Peacebuilding | 1 November
- Nature-based Solutions and People | 6 December
Special Sessions in the Run-Up to the UNFCCC COP-26
- Nature-based Solutions and Climate Ambition at G7 | 31 May
- Nature-based Solutions and Climate Ambition at G20 | 21 June
- High-Level Panel on Nature-based Solutions & Climate Change Governance | 22 November
The event will take place online. Kindly register directly on the Webex platform.
In addition to the live WebEx and Facebook transmissions, the video will be available on this webpage.
The update on Nature-based Solutions provides relevant information and the most recent resources, news and articles from the various organizations in international Geneva and other institutions around the world.