The World Antimicrobial Awareness Week (WAAW) is a global campaign, celebrated annually to improve awareness and understanding of AMR and encourage best practices among the public, One Health stakeholders and policymakers, who all play a critical role in reducing the further emergence and spread of AMR.
The 2023 edition will take place under the theme Preventing antimicrobial resistance together, from 18 to 24 November 2023.
Various events will take place in Geneva and beyond including:
- 13 November, 11:30-13:15 hrs CET | 3rd Annual Global Media Forum in lead up to WAAW 2023 Platform | This forum is being organised to support media understanding and communications on AMR. People from the global media community are welcome.
- 15-16 November | The AMR Multi-Stakeholder Partnership Platform Inaugural Plenary Assembly | This event will be convened at the FAO Headquarters in Rome, Italy with the aim to provide an opportunity for Partnership Platform members to convene, collaborate, and collectively establish priorities for combating AMR using the One Health approach.
- 16 November, 12:00-13.30 CET | Tracking Antimicrobial Resistance Country Self Assessment Survey (TrACSS) | This Quadripartite webinar is part of the WHO Global Webinar Series to support the implementation of national action plans on AMR.
- 20-21 November | Combatting Antimicrobial Resistance – Strategies and Challenges | The event, hosted by the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety in Berlin, Germany aims to share expertise and discuss new ideas on the topic of strategies and measures for the reduction of AMR.
- 20 November, 14.00 – 15.00 CET | Multistakeholder Engagement in the Fight against AMR – Increasing Responsible & Equitable Access to Antimicrobials | AMR Industry Alliance | This webinar will address the importance of action on access by public and private sector stakeholders and examine barriers and solutions to access across sectors and stakeholders.
- 21 November. 14.00 – 15.00 CET | The Importance of Diagnostics in the Fight against AMR – Improving Stewardship & Appropriate Use | AMR Industry Alliance | This webinar will address the key role of diagnostics in appropriate use and stewardship, as well as the importance of public and private sector collaboration in the fight against AMR.
- 21 November, 15:00-16:00 CET | Global Youth Dialogue with Prime Minister Mia Mottley on AMR | This webinar is geared towards the youth who have a unique role in advocacy to intensify political and popular support to tackle AMR across sectors and to popularize AMR as a social concern.
- 23-25 November | Global AMR Youth Summit 2023 – AMR Warriors: Uniting Youth for a Resilient Future | World Health Students’ Alliance | The Summit this year aims to empower students and young professionals while taking into consideration regional perspectives and different regional needs for AMR and how youths of different regions came in.
Lastest News and Information
- Antimicrobial Resistance and the Environment
- What is fuelling the world’s antimicrobial resistance crisis? | UNEP | 24 November 2023
- Antimicrobial resistance: how much time do we have? | Geneva Solutions | 24 November 2023
- What is antimicrobial resistance and why is it a growing threat? | UNEP | 14 November 2023
- Les bactéries résistent: nous aussi, avec le jeu en ligne MedBay-418 | Republic and Canton of Geneva
- World AMR Awareness Week 2023 | World Organisation for Animal Health