28 Sep 2021 – 01 Oct 2021
Venue: WTO & Online
Organization: World Trade Organization
WTO Public Forum 2021 is taking place from 28 September to 1 October 2021, with in parallel, the Trade for Sustainable Development (T4SD) Forum 2021, on 27-28 September, and the Geneva Trade Week 2021, from 27 September to 1st October 2021. Find here a selection of events that will focus on the environment.
This year’s WTO Public Forum, entitled “Trade Beyond COVID-19: Building Resilience”, will run from 28 September to 1 October 2021 and look at the effects of the pandemic on trade and how the multilateral trading system can help build resilience to COVID-19 and future crises.
The Forum is bringing together representatives of governments, the private sector, civil society, academics, consumers and students to consider how the trading system can help countries further develop this resilience. Participants will discuss the role of trade at a time of crisis and how the WTO can be strengthened to tackle the issues of the 21st century, including global environmental issues.
The Public Forum will have three subthemes:
- Enhancing Resilience beyond COVID-19
- Strengthening the Multilateral Trading System
- Collective Action towards Sustainable Trade
Registration to participate virtually is open until 27 September 2021.
Sessions targeting environmental-related
Sessions targeting environmental-related issues include:
- Session 6 : Workshop | Building bridges: Border carbon adjustment and the multilateral trading system | IISD | 28 September, 15:05-16:05 CEST
- Session 10 : Working Session | Building ocean resilience beyond COVID: Global call for collective action on fisheries subsidies | Friends of Ocean Action | 28 September 2021, 16:35-17:35 CEST
- Session 25 : Working Session | What role and scope for green government procurement in an open international trade environment? | WTO | 29 September 2021, 11:30-12:30 CEST
- Session 35 : Working Session | PEW & IISD | A WTO fisheries subsidies deal: What it means and why it matters | 20 September, 15:00-16:00 CEST
- Session 41 : Working Session | Enhancing resilience and sustainable recovery through circular economy and trade | Colombia, Finland, UNEP | 29 September, 16:30-17:30 CEST
- Session 50 : Working Session | Catching development – Acting together for sustainable fisheries trade | PANG, Handelskampanjen | 30 September, 10:00-11:00 CEST
- Session 51 : Working Session | Fisheries and aquaculture production and trade: A multistakeholder call for sustainable growth, based on predictable multilateral rules and intrinsic resilience | FAO | 30 September, 11:30-12:30 CEST
- Session 64 : Working Session | Youth ecopreneurs – Innovating to build back greener | Finland, ITC | 30 September, 15:00-16:00 CEST
- Session 65 : Working Session | Trade and environment at MC12: How can governments work together at the WTO to support a green and fair global economy? | TESS | 30 September, 15:00-16:00 CEST
- Session 74 : Working Session | Trade and climate change: What is at stake for developing countries? | Costa Rica, Worldbank | 30 September, 16:30-17:30 CEST
- Session 78 : Working Session | Building trade resilience for sustainable recovery: WTO’s role in plastics’ life-cycle | CCG, ACEF | 1 October, 10:00-11:00 CEST
- Session 83 : Working Session | Achieving resilience through climate compatible trade: Aligning Africa’s green recovery and the implementation agenda of the African Continental Free Trade Area | ODI | 1 October, 11:30-12:30 CEST
- Session 88 : Working Session | Building resilient and sustainable regional and global value chains through the AfCFTA | UNECA, ODI, UNEP, TESS | 1 October, 13:30-14:30 CEST
- Session 96 : Working Session | Digital trade and the environment | techUK | 1 October, 15:00-16:00 CEST
- Session 98 : Working Session | WTO and a climate agreement – What should a new agreement include to support the climate transition? | Sweden | 1 October, 15:00-16:00 CEST
Trade for Sustainable Development (T4SD) Forum 2021
The International Trade Centre’s (ITC) Trade for Sustainable Development (T4SD) Forum 2021, will take place on 27-28 September, in conjunction with the WTO Public Forum 2021.
Geneva Trade Week 2021
The Geneva Trade Week 2021 is taking place from 27 September to 1st October 2021, in the margins of the WTO Public Forum.
- What’s Happening on the Environment at the WTO? Recent Developments and WTO Member Initiatives in the Lead up to MC 12 | TESS | 27 September, 16:00 CEST
- Greening Business: A Conversation on the Road to Glasgow – with UK Amb. Manley and ITC ED Pamela Coke-Hamilton | UK Department for International Trade, ITC | 28 September, 10:00 CEST
- Tracking Trade Across the Life Cycle of Plastics: Launch of New Online Database | UNCTAD, IHEID GGC, TESS | 30 September, 9:00 CEST