Towards UNFCCC COP28
The 2023 UN Climate Conference (COP28) will take place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from 30 November to 12 December 2023 under the Presidency of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
COP28 will be a milestone moment when the world will take stock of its progress on the Paris Agreement.
As agreed in the Paris Agreement, countries and stakeholders undergo the global stocktake progress to track their collective advancement towards meeting the goals of the Paris Climate Change Agreement. The GST takes place every five years, with the first-ever stocktake scheduled to conclude at COP28. This will help align efforts on climate action, including measures that need to be put in place to bridge the gaps in progress. According to the Synthesis report by the co-facilitators on the technical dialogue of the first global stocktake, launched in September 2023, the world is not on track to meet the long-term goals set out in the Paris Agreement for limiting global temperature rise, calling for a commitment to decisive action.
The Bonn Climate Change Conference held from 5 to 15 June 2023, made progress on issues of critical importance, including the global stocktake, climate finance, loss and damage, and adaptation, helping lay the groundwork for the political decisions required at COP28. → Find out more in the Draft conclusions proposed by the Chair (FCCC/SBI/2023/L.10), the UN Climate Change Press Release, and the ENB Summary
COP28 Thematic Program
COP28’s two-week program highlights the sectors and topics raised by stakeholders during consultations, including the themes which need to be part of the COP agenda each year, and new issues like health, trade and relief, recovery, and peace. The program will unfold around four cross-cutting themes.
- Technology and Innovation
- Frontline Communities
COP28 Health Declaration
COP28 Health Declaration is a voluntary call to action that sits outside the formal UNFCCC negotiations and reflects the shared views and aspirations of countries that collectively aim to safeguard and invest in the population’s health. In this year of the Global Stocktake, the declaration speaks to the urgency of sustained reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and dramatic enhancements of adaptation and resilience. It is intended as a clear signal of ambition and unity on health as we implement the Paris Agreement. The Declaration will be launched at the COP process’ first Health Day and discussed at the first climate health ministerial, on 3 December.
COP28 Global Cooling Pledge
The United Arab Emirates presidency of COP28 is championing a Global Cooling Pledge that will be launched at COP28.
- The Global Cooling Pledge is key to raising ambition and international cooperation on improving energy efficiency and increasing access to sustainable cooling through collective targets covering nature-based solutions, to sustainable cold chains, to appliance efficiency and innovation investment.
- The Pledge offers state and non-state actors a unique chance to enhance their commitments to climate mitigation, adaptation, resilience, and investments towards sustainable cooling.
- UNEP is supporting this critical effort through a UNEP-led Cool Coalition
- Coordinated international action on cooling is necessary to keep a 1.5°C temperature limit within reach. And achieving the Global Cooling Pledge targets would cut emissions by approximately 78 billion tonnes CO2e between 2022 – 2050.
- The COP28 Presidency and UNEP invited Ministers responsible for the environment to join the Global Cooling Pledge by 29 November 2023. Endorsements should be submitted via Note Verbale to the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, with a soft copy emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org. An example endorsement letter can be found here.
- The Global Cooling Pledge launch took place on 5 December 2023.
COP28 Declaration on Climate, Relief, Recovery and Peace
COP28 Declaration on Climate, Relief, Recovery and Peace as well as the first Relief, Recovery and Peace Day at a COP, calls for bolder collective action to build climate resilience at the scale and speed required in highly vulnerable countries and communities, particularly those threatened or affected by fragility or conflict, or facing severe humanitarian needs, many of which are Least Developed Countries and Small Island Developing States.
It stresses that an ambitious, immediate scale-up of enhanced support is urgently needed in such situations,
including financial resources; technical and institutional capacities; local, national,regional partnerships; and
data and information, recognizing the importance of complementarity and predictability.
Geneva’s Engagement at COP28
The Secretariat of the BRS Conventions will actively engage at COP 28 to bring attention to the linkages between chemicals, wastes and climate change and potentials for integrated actions.
CIEL experts will be closely following the negotiations and in particular the intersection between human rights and climate change, the role of the fossil fuels industry, false climate solutions, climate accountability, and the right to a clean, healthy, and sustainable environment.
Save Soil pavilion in the Blue Zone will host daily talks and panel discussions to discuss healthy soil as a solution to climate change. These aim to change the narrative from ‘agricultural soils are victims of climate change’ to ‘healthy agricultural soils are a significant solution to climate change’.
At COP28, the Environment Management Group High-level Dialogue will take place under the aim of strengthening UN system climate action in support of Parties to UNFCCC
Co-hosting the Food and Agriculture Pavilion for the second consecutive year, FAO is at COP28 advocating for global action on climate, agriculture and food security and will be leading events and supporting member countries with technical advice both within and outside the climate negotiations.
GANHRI is committed to supporting NHRI work on climate change and has recently gained observer status at the international climate negotiations. In the course of COP28, GANHRI will host a symposium of NHRIs on human rights and climate change.
At COP28, IFRC calls for increasing the urgency and action on the climate crisis
IISD Earth Negotiations Bulletin will cover the negotiations with daily highlights.
ILO initiatives at COP28 will include the Just Transition Pavilion, High-level dialogue on delivering a gender-responsive just transition for all; ILO-IsDB Youth Green Skills Accelerator Challenge Call;and the launch of ILO-IsDB report on Green Jobs in the MENA region.
IOE will be hosting the first Employers & Green Skills Pavilion in the Blue Zone and will be representing employers in various discussions, high-level events and at the ILO Just Transition Pavilion.
IOM will raise attention on climate migration and host various sessions on migration, environment, climate change and disaster risk reduction at COP28
The IPCC will display a rich scientific program of its own events at the “Science for Climate Action” pavilion. IPCC lead scientists and authors will also have an active part in several mandated official events.
At COP28, ITC will place a spotlight on the role of trade and small businesses in supporting the achievement of the Paris Agreement.
IUCN will also host the ‘Unite for Nature’ pavilion in the COP28 blue zone, which will provide a concrete platform to showcase the collective work of the Union.
TESS is committed to supporting analysis, reflection, and action on where and how trade and trade policies can help avoid a climate catastrophe and foster climate-resilient development and just transitions.
At COP28, UN CC:Learn organizes and supports the Climate Classroom; COP28 Library of UN Ressources; and various events
UNCTAD is partnering with the UAE, the World Trade Organization, the World Economic Forum and the International Chamber of Commerce to shape the day’s discussions.
UNECE will be fully engaged at COP28 to support urgently-needed climate action. It will organize various side events.
The Sustainable Finance Forum will be held on 6 December in Dubai, UAE. Hosted by Climate Action, the PRI and UNEP FI, this event will be one of the biggest platforms for open dialogue with the finance sector held alongside COP28.
UNHCR is providing protection and assistance to many refugees and internally displaced people impacted by the climate emergency as well as helping them increase their resilience in a changing climate.
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and the Human Rights Council (HRC) work to highlight the links between climate change and human rights and call for a rights-based approach to guide global climate change policies and action
WBCSD events will bring the leading voice of business to the forefront of the COP28 agenda through four main tracks for bold action: corporate carbon performance and accountability, energy and industrial sectors transition, food and agriculture transformation and nature positive for climate action.
WEG will advance multistakeholder initiatives for enhanced climate solutions. It will focus on key priority action areas including industry decarbonization and net zero, energy transition, food, nature and innovative finance.
WMO supports the United Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) process and participates COPs by providing the latest scientific advice and information to governments, including on the state of the climate and greenhouse gas concentrations.
WTO Secretariat will co-lead “Trade Day” discussions on 4 December together with UNCTAD, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the World Economic Forum (WEF) and the Abu Dhabi Department of Economic Development.
WWF expressed its expectations and wishes for COP28 and overall climate action in its recent manifesto Climate action right now: Everyone, everywhere, all at once.
Geneva Environment Network Briefing on COP28
The Permanent Mission to the United Arab Emirates to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva and the Geneva Environment Network hosted a briefing on the challenges of and opportunities in addressing climate change, and the contributions of international Geneva to the global climate change agenda. → Rewatch the session and access resources
Events taking place in Geneva in preparation for COP28 are listed below.
27 November 2023
Ville de Genève
23 November 2023
GGKP & Global Opportunities for Sustainable Development Goals (GO4SDGs)
Climate change across the life course: evidence to action | Launch of a joint statement by WHO-UNICEF-UNFPA and advocacy brief by PMNCH and partners
21 November 2023
WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, PMNCH
20 November 2023
IPU, Adaptation at Altitude, University of Geneva, Zoï Environment Network, Geneva Water Hub, Switzerland
Key reports at COP28
- Today’s emissions, tomorrow’s deaths: How Europe’s Major Oil and Gas Companies are Putting Lives at Risk | Green Peace Netherlands | 7 December 2023
- Global Carbon Budget 2023 | Global Carbon Project, University of Exter, FutureEarth, Global Carbon Budget | 5 December 2023
- Global Cooling Watch 2023 | UNEP | 5 December 2023
- The Global Climate 2011-2020 | WMO | 5 December 2023
- On Behalf of My Delegation: A survival guide for new and lonely climate change negotiators | Joyeeta Gupta and Jennifer Allan | IISD | 4 December 2023
- Global status of multi-hazard early warning systems 2023 | UNDRR & WMO | 3 December 2023
- 2022 Year in Review: Climate-driven Global Renewable Energy Potential Resources and Energy Demand | WMO and Irena | 3 December 2023
- 10 New Insights in Climate Science 2023/2024 | FutureEarth, The Earth League and World Climate Research Programme | 3 December 2023
- The Coral Reef Breakthrough | International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) and the Global Fund for Coral Reefs (GFCR) | 2 December 2023
- Global drought snapshot 2023: The need for immediate action | UNCCD | 1 December 2023
- Trade Policy Tools for Climate Action | WTO | 1 December 2023
- An Eye on Methane: the road to radical transparency | UNEP | 1 December 2023
- Provisional State of the Global Climate in 2023 | WMO | 30 November 2023
Key news at COP28
- Exclusive: Moldova volunteers to run COP29 climate summit, Serbia also mulls bid | Reuters | 7 December 2023
- Dubai’s Gold-Gilded COP28 Summit Changes Climate Talks Forever | Bloomberg | 7 December 2023
- Carbon pricing would raise trillions needed to tackle climate crisis, says IMF | The Guardian | 7 December 2023
- $700m pledged to loss and damage fund at Cop28 covers less than 0.2% needed | The Guardian | 6 December 2023
- Key measures could slash predicted 2050 emissions from cooling sector | UNEP | 5 December 2023
- Rate and impact of climate change surges dramatically in 2011-2020 | WMO | 5 December 2023
- Release: Record number of fossil fuel lobbyists at COP28 | Kick Big Polluters Out | 5 December 2023
- DG Okonjo-Iweala: We need to use every weapon in our arsenal to fight the climate crisis | WTO | 4 December 2023
- COP28: Green Climate Fund reaches record funding level | GCF | 3 December 2023
- UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR) and UNOPS will host the Santiago network which aims to avert, minimize and address loss and damage from the impacts of climate change | UNDRR | 3 December 2023
- Countries on frontline of climate change expand early warning protection but progress nowhere near enough | UNDRR | 3 December 2023
- New report highlights renewable energy progress, potential and challenges | WMO | 3 December 2023
- Rebeca Grynspan on turning Unctad from technical agency to climate beacon | Geneva Solutions | 3 December 2023
- WTO Secretariat launches trade policy toolkit at COP28 to support action on climate goals | WTO | 2 December 2023
- Climate action or distraction? Sweeping COP pledges won’t touch fossil fuel use | Politico | 2 December 2023
- Heads of WTO, FAO sign agreement to boost cooperation on trade, food and climate change | WTO | 1 December 2023
- Science points to ‘climate collapse’ as UN chief calls COP28 to action | UN News | 30 November 2023
- Director-General welcomes Steel Standards Principles for decarbonization, launched at COP28 | WTO | 30 November 2023
- Fossils fuels at the heart of the planetary environmental crisis: UN experts | OHCHR | 30 November 2023
- COP28 talks open in Dubai with breakthrough deal on loss and damage fund | UN News | 30 November 2023
- Climate Summit opens with world watching for signs of progress | UNEP | 30 November 2023
- WHO’s annual malaria report spotlights the growing threat of climate change | WHO | 30 November 2023
- COP28 begins: 4 issues that will determine if the UN climate summit is a success, from methane to money | The Conversation | 30 November 2023
Key reports ahead of COP28
- Operationalization of the new funding arrangements, including a fund, for responding to loss and damage referred to in paragraphs 2–3 of decisions 2/CP.27 and 2/CMA.4. Draft decision -/CP.28 -/CMA.5. Proposal by the President | UNFCCC | 29 November 2023
- Climate Adaptation Target Setting | UNEP FI | 28 November 2023
- Mobilising trillions for the Global South, the imperative of human rights-based climate finance: UN expert | SR Environment | 23 November 2023
- 2023 WHO review of health in Nationally Determined Contributions and long-term strategies: Health at the Heart of the Paris Agreement | World Health Organization | 23 November 2023
- The Oil and Gas Industry in Net Zero Transitions | International Energy Agency | 23 November 2023
- Emissions Gap Report 2023 | UNEP | 20 November 2023
- Climate Equality: A planet for the 99% | Oxfam | 20 November 2023
- Leveraging Education in Emergencies for Climate Action | Geneva Global Hub for Education in Emergencies | 21 November 2023
- Progress, good practices and lessons learned in prioritizing and incorporating gender-responsive adaptation action | UNFCCC | 20 November 2023
- Responding to climate change in the mountains: Opportunities for parliamentarians to act | Adaptation at Altitude issue & Interparliamentary Union | 20 November 2023
- WMO Greenhouse Gas Bulletin 2023 | 15 November 2023
- Nationally determined contributions under the Paris Agreement. Synthesis report by the secretariat | UNFCCC | 14 November 2023
- Long-term low-emission development strategies. Synthesis report by the secretariat | UNFCCC | 14 November 2023
- The climate-changed child | A Children’s Climate Risk Index supplement | UNICEF | November 2023
- Production Gap Report 2023 | SEI, Climate Analytics, E3G, IISD, UNEP | November 2023
- Adaptation Gap Report 2023 | UNEP | November 2023
- Framework for climate resilient and low carbon health systems | WHO | 10 November 2023
- Direct Air Capture: Big Oil’s Latest Smokescreen | CIEL | 10 November 2023
- Tripling renewable power and doubling energy efficiency by 2030: Crucial steps towards 1.5°C | COP28 Presidency, IRENA and GRA | 7 November 2023
- 2023 State of Climate Services: Health | WMO | 2 November 2023
- Corporate Climate Stocktake 2023 | We Mean Business Coalition | 31 October 2023
- Assessing the size and uncertainty of remaining carbon budgets | Robin D. Lamboll, Zebedee R. J. Nicholls, Christopher J. Smith, Jarmo S. Kikstra, Edward Byers & Joeri Rogelj | Nature Climate Change|
- 2023 edition of the Interconnected Disaster Risks report | United Nations University Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
- The 2023 state of the climate report: Entering uncharted territory | American Institute of Biological Sciences | Bio Science | 24 October 2023
- Children displaced in a changing climate: Preparing for a future already underway | UNICEF
- Net Zero Roadmap: A Global Pathway to Keep the 1.5 °C Goal in Reach (2023 Update) | IEA | 26 September 2023
- United in Science 2023 | 18 Agencies | 14 September 2023
- State of the Climate in Africa 2022 | WMO | 4 September 2023
- All planetary boundaries mapped out for the first time, six of nine crossed | Stockholm Resilience Centre | 13 September 2023
- Principles of International Law Relevant for Consideration in the Design and Implementation of Trade-Related Climate Measures and Policies | Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS) | 13 September 2023
- Global Climate Litigation Report: 2023 Status Review | UNEP | 27 July 2023
- Killer Heat: Extreme Temperatures and Migrant Workers | Vital Signs Partnership | June 2023
- State of the Climate in Europe 2022 | WMO | 19 June 2023
- State of the Global Climate in 2022 | World Meteorological Organization | 21 April 2023
- AR6 Synthesis Report: Climate Change 2023 | IPCC | 20 March 2023
- One Atmosphere: An Independent Expert Review on Solar Radiation Modification Research and Deployment | UNEP | February 2023
- The Breakthrough Effect: how tipping points can accelerate net zero | Systemiq, University of Exter, Bezos Earth Fund| 19 January 2023
- Global Risks Report 2023 | World Economic Forum | 11 January 2023
- Corporate Minds on Climate Action | Conservation International and We Mean Business Coalition | January 2023
Key resources, news and messages ahead of COP28
- Why the Global Stocktake is a Critical Moment for Climate Action | UNFCCC
- Regional Climate Weeks | UNFCCC
- IUCN position paper for UNFCCC COP28 | International Union for Conservation of Nature
- UNHCR: Refugees and displaced people need seats at COP28 table | United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees
- IFRC Key Messages | Increasing the Urgency and Action on the Climate Crisis
- Harnessing Wetland Wise Use, Protection and Restoration in Delivering Climate Change Outcomes | Brief on the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands for UNFCCC COP28 | Ramsar Convention on Wetlands
- Global Knowledge for Climate and Public Health | WHO & WMO
- Global health community calls for urgent action on climate and health at COP28 | WHO
- Climate Summit opens with world watching for signs of progress | UNEP | 30 November 2023
- Treasure hunt for an ambitious COP28 package – Let the search begin! | CAN International | 30 November 2023
- Integrating Human Rights into the International Climate Negotiations: GANHRI Open Letter to COP 28 | 30 November 2023
- COP28: A Crucial Crossroads for Fossil Fuel Phaseout and Human Rights | CIEL | 29 November 2023
- COP28 Opens in Dubai with Calls for Accelerated Action, Higher Ambition Against the Escalating Climate Crisis | UNFCCC | 29 November 2023
- ‘Enough of endless delays’: will Cop28 force a course change for the world? | The Guardian | 29 November 2023
- We must unite our efforts to fight climate change and biodiversity loss | Crossroad Blog – Open Letters to IUCN Members | 28 November 2023
- Health is the engine to drive more urgent action on climate change, says WHO | BMJ | 28 November 2023
- The costs of delay on climate change are rising — we must act now | Inger Andersen | The Hill | 27 November 2023
- Why loss & damage fund alone will not redress climate harm | Joie Chowdhury and Lien Vandamme | 27 November 2023
- Health at the Heart of Climate Action: WHO’s Message to COP28 Negotiators | Health Policy Watch | 27 November 2023
- Call to Redirect ‘Harmful’ Government Subsidies to Protect Health From Climate Impact | Health Policy Watch | 22 November 2023
- Powering climate action through Earth observations technology | UNFCCC | 22 November 2023
- Protecting maternal, newborn and child health from the impacts of climate change: call for action | WHO, UNICEF & UNPF | 21 November 2023
- The Global Stocktake Needs to Send a Strong Message on Adaptation | IISD | 21 November 2023
- EU Parliament calls for negotiation of a Fossil Fuel Treaty in formal COP28 position | Fossil Fuel Treaty | 21 November 2023
- Standing In Solidarity With Those on the Frontlines of the Climate Crisis: A Loss and Damage Package for COP28 | Julie-Anne Richards, Rajib Ghosal, Brenda Mwale, et al. | Loss and Damage Collaboration & Unitarian Universalist Service Committee | 21 November 2023
- The great carbon divide | The Guardian | 20 November 2023
- Meeting the 1.5°C Climate Goal Will Save Millions of People, and It’s Still Feasible | Scientific American | 20 November 2023
- If Not Now, When? Ambitious Energy Package Is a Must at COP 28 | IISD | 20 November 2023
- How can policymakers support finance industry action on net-zero: Striving for real-economy impact | UNEP FI | 17 November 2023
- Women Are Leading the Fight to Stop Climate Change | Bloomberg | 16 November 2023
- Why we’re calling for new climate laws at COP28 | Client Earth | 16 November 2023
- Greenhouse Gas concentrations hit record high. Again. | WMO | 15 November 2023
- Can US, China Climate Talks Spur Progress at COP28? | Inside Climate News | 15 November 2023
- COP28 declaration to tie climate funding to conflict for the first time | The New Humanitarian | 13 November 2023
- New Analysis of National Climate Plans: Insufficient Progress Made, COP28 Must Set Stage for Immediate Action | UNFCCC | 14 November 2023
- Climate collapse – changing climate policy and investor duties to meet new realities | UNEP FI | 13 November 2023
- COP28 faces a giant communication challenge | Financial Times | 12 November 2023
- World had warmest October on record | WMO | 10 November 2023
- Presidents of Rio Conventions Call | CBD, UNFCCC, UNCCD | 10 November 2023
- The hottest 12-month stretch in recorded history | Climate Central | 10 November 2023
- The Global Stocktake and Loss and Damage: The Outcome We Need at COP28 to Create a Roadmap for the
World We Want | The Loss and Damage Collaboration | 10 November 2023
- ‘Insanity’: petrostates planning huge expansion of fossil fuels, says UN report | The Guardian | 8 November 2023
- Food Systems and Agriculture: What’s on the menu for the 28th UN Climate Change Conference (COP 28)? | IISD | 8 November 2023
- Agriculture experts gather in Rome ahead of COP28 for First Informal Dialogue on Sharm el-Sheikh joint work | 10 November 2023
- COP28 conference looks set for conflict after tense negotiations on climate damage fund | AP News | 6 November 2023
- It’s time to admit that our health and climate crises are one | Financial Times | 6 November 2023
- ‘Loss and damage’ deal struck to help countries worst hit by climate crisis | The Guardian | 5 November 2023
- UN climate fund battle looms over US stance on financing | Financial Times | 5 November 2023
- ‘Take it or leave it’: Acrimony flares amid tenuous agreement on climate aid | Politico | 4 November 2023
- Climate rights expert slams corporations and states on human rights duties | Geneva Solutions | 3 November 2023
- Climate change and noncommunicable diseases: connections | WHO | 2 November 2023
- Food Systems: The Missing Piece of the Climate Puzzle at COP 28 | IISD Knowledge Lab | 2 November 2023
- Last-chance saloon for loss and damage deal before COP28 | The New Humanitarian | 31 October 2023
- Peace@COP28: Recommendations for accelerating climate action in communities affected by conflict | Ecosystem for Peace – A compendium of ideas | 30 October 2023
- Doctors from around the world unite to call for urgent climate action | The Guardian | 28 October 2023
- Open Science Conference: use our climate knowledge and tools for action | WMO | 27 October 2023
- WTO and partner organizations unveil Trade House pavilion for UN COP28 climate summit | WTO | 26 October 2023
- Time to treat the climate and nature crisis as one indivisible global health emergency | Kamran Abbasi, Parveen Ali, Virginia Barbour et. al | The BMJ | 25 October 2023
- Uniting for Health and Climate Action | WHO | 23 October 2023
- Loss and Damage Transitional Committee Fails to Reach Consensus Ahead of COP28 | WRI | 20 October 2023
- Ahead of COP 28, MENA Climate Week Showcases Regional Technologies and Initiatives | IISD SDG Knowledge Hub | 18 October 2023
- Exclusive: COP28 Climate and Health Draft Declaration Ignores Fossil Fuels as Driver of Health Harms | Health Policy Watch | 18 October 2023
- The climate law the fossil fuel industry doesn’t want | Global Witness | 16 October 2023
- EU to push for COP28 deal on phasing out fossil fuels | Reuters | 16 October 2023
- How criminalisation is being used to silence climate activists across the world | The Guardian | 12 October 2023
- Laudate Deum (“Praise God”) |Pope Francis apostolic exhortation
- The climate emergency could be the ultimate health opportunity, says WHO’s Maria Neira | The BMJ | 4 October 2023
- UN toxics expert: climate action no good if it poisons the planet | Geneva Solutions | 25 September 2023
- At Historic ITLOS Hearings, States Stake Out Positions on Climate Duties and Ocean Protection | Joie Chowdhury | September 2023
- General comment No. 26 (2023) on children’s rights and the environment with a special focus on climate change | Committee on the Rights of the Child | 28 August 2023
- ‘Off-the-charts records’: has humanity finally broken the climate? | The Guardian | 28 August 2023
- Trouble in the Amazon. The rainforest is starting to release its carbon. Is it heading towards a tipping point? | Daniel Grossman | Nature | 24 August 2023
- WMO publishes global update of climate datasets | WMO | 15 August 2023
- COP 28 President-Designate, Ministers from India, Denmark and partners call for action on sustainable cooling at Clean Energy Ministerial | UNEP | 24 July 2023
- G20 divisions over key climate goals pile pressure on Cop28 hosts | Climate Home News | 24 July 2023
- Fake Twitter profiles, Wikipedia editing and PR battles: Inside the push to greenwash the COP28 climate summit | CNN | 18 July 2023
- Sultan Al Jaber (COP28 president) four-pillar plan of action | 13 July 2023
- What is the UAE Cop28 plan of climate action? | The Guardian | 13 July 2023
- Simon Stiell: We Need to Build a Collective Understanding Halfway to COP28 | 13 July 2023
- Climate ministers raise pressure on COP28 summit host | Financial Times | 13 July 2023
- No room for fossil fuel executives at climate negotiation tables | Al Jazeera | 12 July 2023
- Global climate-change trends detected in indicators of ocean ecology | B. B. Cael, Kelsey Bisson, Emmanuel Boss, Stephanie Dutkiewicz & Stephanie Henson | Nature | 12 July 2023
- Joint Statement on importance of civil society access to and participation in international climate discussions | 53rd Session of Human Right Council | 3 July 2023
- Polar scientists call for urgent action in view of rapid Arctic and Antarctic change | WMO | 16 June 2023
- Air and sea surface temperatures hit new records | WMO News | 16 June 2023
- Bonn Climate Conference Closes With Progress on Key Issues, Laying Groundwork for COP28 | UNFCCC Press Release | 15 June 2023
- Global Stocktake “Must be the Turning Point” to Limit Warming | UNFCCC | 15 June 2023
- Despite Mounting Pressure and Momentum for Fossil Phaseout Globally, Once Again, the Talks Failed to Advance Urgent, Ambitious, and Equitable Climate Action | CIEL | 15 June 2023
- Bonn Climate Talks: Finance and Trust Key To Success of COP28 | Climate Action Network International | 15 June 2023
- Small islands agree bold plan of action on health and climate crises | WHO News | 15 June 2023
- Long-awaited balance for adaptation climate finance still out of sight, new analysis from CARE shows | CARE | 14 June 2023
- The Overshoot Commission is talking about solar geoengineering. Not everyone thinks it should | Climate Home News | 12 June 2023
- What we need now from the leadership of COP28 | Al Jazeera | 31 May 2023
- Cop28 host UAE’s approach is ‘dangerous’, says UN’s ex-climate chief | The Guardian | 16 May 2023
- 14th Petersberg Climate Dialogue: An important milestone for climate negotiations leading up to COP28 | Federal Foreign Office of Germany | 2 May 2023
- Secretary-General’s video message for press conference to launch the Synthesis Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change | UN News | 20 March 2023
- Upcoming IPCC Report Must Signal to Polluters their Time is Up | Climate Action Network International | 10 March 2023
- Lost in Translation: Lessons from the IPCC’s Sixth Assessment on the Urgent Transition from Fossil Fuels and the Risks of Misplaced Reliance on False Solutions | Center for International Environmental Law and Heinrich Böll Foundation | 6 March 2023
Who to Follow on Twitter
- Center for International Environment Law | @CIEL_tweets | Carroll Muffet | Erika Lennon | Lien Vandamme | Lili Fuhr | Sébastien Duycks
- COP28 Host Country | @COP28_UAE
- Climate Action Network International (CAN) | @CANIntl
- Executive Secretary Simon Stiell | @simonstiell
- Egypt Climate Champion for COP 27 Mahmoud Mohieldin | @UNenvoyMM
- High-Level Climate Champions for COP27 and COP28 H.E. Ms. Razan Al Mubarak and Mahmoud Mohieldin | @hlcchampions
- Inger Andersen, Executive Director, UNEP | @andersen_inger
- International Union for Conservation of Nature | @IUCN_Plastics
- Loss and Damage Collaboration | @LossandDamage
- UN Climate Change in English | @UNFCCC
- UN Climate Change in French | @CCNUCC
- UNEP FI | @UNEP_FI
- World Health Organization | @WHO | @DrMariaNeira
- World Meteorological Organization | @WMO
- WWF | @WWF
Want to dive into COP28 negotiations? → Follow UNEP’s Spotlight on Climate Action, the Earth Negotiations Bulletin, watch the public webcast, or read the Climate Action Network International (CAN) ECO daily newsletter.