21 Feb 2022
Venue: Online | Webex
This briefing will focus on the preparations of the upcoming 74th meeting of the Standing Committee of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES SC74), to be held in Lyon, France, from 7 to 11 March 2021.
About this Session
The upcoming 74th meeting of the CITES Standing Committee will take place in the Metropolis of Lyon (France) and bring together members and observers to review strategic, policy and species-specific matters affecting the implementation of the Convention in preparation for the 19th meeting of the Conference of the Parties to CITES (CoP19) to take place in November 2022 in Panama.
Amongst many others matters that require careful consideration, the CITES Standing Committee will discuss the following issues:
- A possible new resolution on CITES and international forest policies;
- the potential role of CITES in reducing the risk of future zoonotic disease emergence associated with international wildlife trade;
- engagement of indigenous peoples and local communities and livelihoods in matters related to conservation and sustainable use of wild fauna and flora;
- compliance and enforcement matters related to Malagasy ebonies, palisanders and rosewoods, and totoaba fish; and
- reports on jaguars, eels, seahorses, marine turtles, rosewoods, west African vultures, pangolins, sharks and rays.
The event will take place online. Kindly register directly on the Webex platform.
In addition to the live WebEx and Facebook transmissions, the video will be available on this webpage.
- CITES SC74 Agenda and Documents
- France to host 74th meeting of the Standing Committee of CITES in Lyon | CITES | 16 December 2021