07 Dec 2022
Venue: International Environment House I & Online | Webex
Organization: Geneva Environment Network, UNEP Chemicals and Health Branch, Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions, Minamata Convention on Mercury, Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management
This briefing, organized within the framework of the Geneva Environment Network, will review the outcomes of the negotiations related to chemicals and waste in 2022, and present the important conferences scheduled in 2022.
About this Session
This Chemicals and Waste Negotiations briefing, organized within the framework of the Geneva Environment Network, will provide an overview of the work and key activities to advance the sound management of chemicals and waste globally. It will review the outcomes of the negotiations related to chemicals and waste that took place in 2022, and present the latest information on the important conferences scheduled in 2023, as well a follow-u on resolutions adopted at the UN Environment Assembly.
Next year, major negotiations on chemicals and waste include:
- 1st Session of the Open Ended Working Group (OEWG1) of the Science-Policy Panel to contribute further to the sound management of chemicals and waste and to prevent pollution | Bangkok, Thailand, January-February 2023
13th meeting of the Open-ended Working Group of the Basel Convention (OEWG-13) | Geneva, Switzerland, February 2023
- Resumed session of the 4th meeting of the Intersessional Process considering the Strategic Approach and sound management of chemicals and waste beyond 2020 | Nairobi, Kenya, February-March 2023
- 16th Meeting of the COP to the Basel Convention, the 11th meeting of the COP to the Rotterdam Convention and the 11th Meeting of the COP to the Stockholm Convention (BRS COPs) | Geneva, Switzerland, May 2023, as well as subsidiary body meetings leading up to the BRS COPs
- 5th Session of the International Conference on Chemicals Management (ICCM5) | Bonn, Germany, September 2023
- 5th Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Minamata Convention on Mercury | Geneva, Switzerland, October-November 2023
By order of intervention. Additional speakers to be confirmed.
Chief, Chemicals and Health Branch, UNEP
Deputy Executive Secretary, Basel Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
Executive Secretary, Minamata Convention on Mercury
Principal Officer of the Science-Policy panel on Chemicals, Waste and Prevention of Pollution, UNEP
Programme Officer, Chemicals and Health Branch, UNEP
Chief, Governance Branch, Basel Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions
Acting Head, Knowledge and Risk Unit, Chemicals and Health Branch, UNEP
Waste and Chemicals Focal Point, Global Affairs Section, Federal Office for the Environment, Switzerland
This event will be held in a hybrid format, both in-person and virtually. For online attendance, kindly register on Webex platform.
For in person participation, register on Eventbrite.
In addition to the live WebEx and social media transmissions, the video of the event will be available on this webpage.
Previous Chemicals and Waste Briefings
13 September 2022 | 28 April 2022 | 27 May 2021 | 16 December 2020 | 4 July 2019 | 12 June 2018 | 26 February 2018 | 22 June 2017 | 5 April 2017 | 30 November 2016 | 26 April 2016 | 26 January 2016 | 26 November 2015 | 8 September 2015
- Basel Rotterdam Stockholm Conventions Secretariat
- Minamata Convention
- UNEP Chemicals and Waste
- SAICM Secretariat
- Chemicals and Waste Special Program On Institutional Strengthening
- Update on International Environmental Negotiations Agenda | Geneva Environment Network
- Previous Minamata Briefings: 2 March 2022 | 16 October 2021