The Geneva Beat Plastic Pollution dialogues aim to facilitate further engagement and discussion among the stakeholders in International Geneva and beyond. In addition, they intend to address the plastic crisis and support coordinated approaches that can lead to more efficient decision making.
About the Dialogues
The world is facing a plastic crisis, the status quo is not an option. Plastic pollution is a serious issue of global concern which requires an urgent and international response involving all relevant actors at different levels. Many initiatives, projects and governance responses and options have been developed to tackle this major environmental problem, but we are still unable to cope with the amount of plastic we generate. In addition, there is a lack of coordination which can better lead to a more effective and efficient response.
Various actors in Geneva are engaged in rethinking the way we manufacture, use, trade and manage plastics. These dialogues aim at outreaching and creating synergies among these actors, highlighting efforts made by intergovernmental organizations and governments, businesses, the scientific community, civil society and individuals in the hope of informing and creating stronger synergies and coordinated actions. The dialogues will also look at what the different stakeholders have achieved at all levels, present the latest research and governance options.
In addition, although the dialogues target stakeholders from all continents, they primarily aim to encourage increased engagement of the Geneva community in the run-up to various global environmental negotiations, such as:
- UNEA-5 (1st and 2nd sessions) in February 2021 and February 2022
- BRS COPs (online and in person segments) in July 2021 and 2022
- SAICM ICCM5 at a date to be confirmed
First Series of Dialogues
The first series of dialogues took place from November 2020 to February 2021, to build momentum towards the first session of UNEA-5. It aimed to facilitate further engagement and discussions among the International Geneva stakeholders and actors across the regions and support coordinated approaches that can lead to more efficient global decision making. It also intended to provide a platform to further carry the discussion from the recently conclude Ad Hoc Open-Ended Expert Group (AHEG) on Marine Litter and Microplastics towards UNEA-5 part 2 in 2022.
The first series of dialogues were organized in collaboration with the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions Secretariat, the Center for International Environmental Law, the Global Governance Centre at the Graduate Institute, Norway, and Switzerland.
Venue: Online | Webex
- Opening Session: Plastics and Waste | 26 November 2020
- Plastics, Climate and Air Pollution | 10 December 2020
- Plastics and Human Rights | 14 January 2021
- Plastics and Health | 21 January 2021
- Plastics and Standards | 28 January 2021
- Plastics and Trade | 4 February 2021
- Plastics in the Life Cycle/SCP | 11 February 2021
- High-Level Dialogue on Plastic Governance | 11 March 2021
Second Series of Dialogues
Building on the outcomes of the first series of dialogues and the recent policy developments, the Geneva Environment Network will continue to facilitate further engagement and synergies on tackling the plastic crisis, in cooperation with its partners.
With the Ministerial Conference on Marine Litter and Plastic Pollution convening in hybrid format, with a core presence in Geneva, on 1-2 September 2021 and other formal and informal discussions ongoing in various fora, including trade, Plastic remains high on international Geneva agenda.
The second series of dialogues is organized in collaboration with: the Basel, Rotterdam and Stockholm Conventions Secretariat; the Center for International Environmental Law; the Global Governance Centre at the Graduate Institute; IUCN; Norway; Switzerland; and the Forum on Trade, Environment & the SDGs (TESS).
Additional Sessions include:
- Preparatory Briefing Ahead of the Ministerial Conference on a Coherent Global Strategy to End Marine Litter and Plastic Pollution | 24 August 2021 | 15:00-16:00 CEST
- Stakeholder Perspectives on a Global Treaty on Plastics pollution: Priorities for transforming the global plastics economy | 30 August 2021 | 13:00-14:00 CEST
Introductory Session of the Global Governance of Plastic Pollution: Transforming the Global Plastics Economy (30-31 August 2021)
- Plastique et Climat, même combat? | 1 September 2021 | 19:45-20:45 CEST
- Plastics and Human Rights | 23 September 2021 | 13.30 CEST
Side-event to the 48th regular session of the Human Rights Council, with the UN Special Rapporteur on toxics and human rights
- Plastics in the Oceans | October 2021
In parallel to the extraordinary session of the World Meteorological Congress
- Plastics in Cities | October 2021
- Advancing Cooperation on Standards and Technical Regulations for Plastics | November 2021
Follow-up on the work conducted by the group that continued brainstorming on standards after the 1st session on this topic.
- Plastic Pollution Heroes: Success Stories in Addressing Plastic Pollution | December 2021
- Plastics: Strengthening the Science and Policy Interface | January 2022
- Basis for Financial Cooperation and Technical Assistance in a New Plastic Agreement | early February 2022
- Outcomes of the Dialogues (November 2020 – February 2021)
- Thematic outcomes of the Geneva Beat Plastic Pollution Dialogues
Waste | Climate & Air Pollution | Human Rights | Health | Standards | Trade | Life Cycle & SCP
Plastics and the Environment
Our Plastics and the Environment update lists relevant information, research, data and/or press releases issued by our partners in Geneva and other institutions around the world.